Thursday 21 June 2007

What the Cubs Leader said...

I needed to confirm with Matthew's Cubs Leader whether she thought that Matthew was a liability to take on camping / education trips (as the school are suggesting - see post below). The leader pointed out that during the past 4 weeks, Matthew has been on a 4 day Cub camp weekend, and also a full day Cubs trip to London last Saturday. The leader said that Matthew is the best behaved child in the pack. During the London trip, and following instructions on where to go and what time to return, he behaved no differently to any of the other nine year old's on the day, and the constant company of 2 other buddies kept everyone safe. "He was at the right places at the right times". She also voluntarily offered to go to the school and speak to the head teacher to confirm this.
I think that the school may not appreciate that occasionally, nine year olds may be forgetful (and leave the school on the bus), especially when they are in a stressed situation (unable to find their bag due to someone covering it with a jersey). Six months ago, Matthew wouldn't have even remembered he had a bag to bring home from school, not to mention being interested in playing cricket!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi lesley read your blog about Mathew and his cub leader, can I tell you a story. When I was Mathews age I used to go to an all girl school one day school had finished so I did what I always did and walked out of school to the bus stop and caught it home. The only problem was when I did get home I found my parents were not there so went next door to my neighbours. I was greeted by her asking why I was not at school I had actually left school at the last break and not the end of school. My parents had not even finished work yet, I was so upset about it and worried about what the head teacher would say but in the end they understood it was an accident and at least I made it home. The moral of this story is 9 years olds will always makes mistakes like everyone else and where were the teachers when he needed them like mine they were not there to ask where he was going or me. The school I feel are passing the buck onto the child instead of looking at their own responsibilites while Mathew was in their care. The best way to look at this Lesley is not Mathews or your failings but where were the schools responsibilities in this. Ellie XXX

JeanLaninga said...

Matthew, you are continuing to do great, keep up the good work with your mum and with Dore! Congratulations with the flag contest too! Hugs from me and Mark. :-)