Wednesday 13 June 2007

Reading to Matthew/Increased Attention

Matthew has always hated me reading to him unless there was lots of pictures for him to follow the story with. I had to read Action Man comics to him (ughh) when he was 5 and 6 because he would just get restless and lose the thread with normal books. I read and read with my older son, and loved doing it. Even Noddy was a no go book (we have at least 6 Noddy books that belonged to my elder son) but we never got very far, there was no "lets read more of the story tonight, don't forget". I insisted on reading "The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe" to him last year before the film came out, one quarter the way through the unabridged version, I had to search out our abridged picture book of the story so he could look at it as I read, torture.
Happy to report that I am now reading "The Valley of Adventure-Enid Blyton" (a childhood favourite of mine) to him and he is listening and enjoying, can remember the characters names and looks forward to a chapter every night, as do I. There are hardly any pictures in the book, but he answers all the questions I ask at the end. I love it.

No comments: