Sunday 6 May 2007

Worded Maths Problems

I thought I'd try Matthew on some worded maths problems last night. These have given us great troouble. His teacher says he's good at maths but worded problems were giving difficulties, he just didn't understand what was being asked. I also saw this when I tried him on them at home with a IT course I have subscribed to for him. (It's called Education City and there is a Maths, Science and English course with it, SATS targeted, also available in the USA.) I could see that these problems had to explained clearly as he just couldn't make any sense of them, then he could do them.

Last night I thought I'd try him on Worded time problems (a double problem with time, as he hasn't understood that either).
Well I was amazed he had 9/10 with no trouble at all. I am really excited about this, and I'm going to try him some different word problems tonight.

An example of a question is: it's 5.05 and Stig starts to make food he takes 30 mins to make it and 15 mins to eat it what time does he finish his food? Also some problems were going backwards in time.

No comments: