Thursday 10 May 2007

My Views On the Ed. Psych's report.

Firstly I would like to say that I feel these observations should have been taken over a year ago, with the initial IQ and Reading/Spelling assessments. They are not a baseline account as we have been doing our Dore exercises for 4 months when the observations were taken.

I am unhappy with the way the Ed Psych has described the distraction of playing with his hair as something he is "motivated" into doing. It appears to me as a fidget. I do not see this as him being motivated. I remember when he had a loose tooth he played continually with it until it was out. We will be cutting his hair and await to hear what he is next "motivated" to play with, as I believe that he will simply be distracted with something else.

I am also disturbed to hear that the Ed Psych believes that there is an element of personal choice in Matthew's poor work out put. If this is the case we have come to the point where is has become disillusioned with his literacy school work, the very thing his class teacher did not want to happen. She told us last year that he really wanted to do his work but was finding it hard. He must now see things differently. "I can't produce work to a standard the same as my friends, they don't expect it, so why bother working 10 times as hard for little feedback." I'm also concerned that the Ed Psych says he sees no discomfort with writing when his language support teacher explains about his "death grip" of the pen and how she gets him to shake out his hands at regular intervals.

On the plus side we can now see that Matthew is taking in some (if not all-we cannot tell at this stage) of what is being taught, and can verbally respond. He is also retaining things as he comes home regularly and relates what his lessons where about, this was not happening last year at all, he simply couldn't remember even when pressed and would get annoyed saying "stop asking me".

I feel the Ed Psych cannot/will not do any more until the medical team determine what his other problems are.
I was told by the Language Support Teacher (a very experienced and dedicated lady on the verge of retirment who we are begging not to leave) he might get a very nice report with no extra support forthcoming at school.

No comments: